In 2013 the Levisson Institute organised a Gabbay training for all Progressive Jewish congregations in Holland. Almost 40 people from all over the country took part.
Teachers were the dean of the Institute, rabbi Menno ten Brink, and some other rabbis and gabbayim of the congregations. The lessons were held om three Sunday afternoons in the spring of 2013.
Content of the lessons
March 3 2013
- Historical development of the synagogue and its officiants
- Source material
- What is the task of a shamash during services and chupot?
- What is the task of a gabbay?
- List of mitzvot and schedules
March 17 2013
- List of words connected to reading Torah
- Which mitzvot exist and why?
- Misheberach, gomel prayer, yizkor
April 14 2013
- Continuing mitzvot
- Exercise with Torah scroll and calling for Torah
Students and teachers together in the synagogue in The Hague